Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Quick Movie Review: Annie

7/10

Ah children's movies. How on Earth is one supposed to rate them and by what criteria?

I watched this one in the highly enjoyable company of my wife and niece (it turned out the wife knows all of the words to the songs) and it shows the broad appeal of this silly little tale.

Sure it's got Albert Finney in it, and that's all very impressive, but the real star turn is from Annie herself; Aileen Quinn who somehow I didn;t want to punch at any stage despite being in my preconceptions one of those irritating little musical theatre moppets who I tend to despise.

Well done young lady... well not young any more, since shes now 37, but you get the point.

There she is... on the left.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good as these films go, and the others enjoyed it, so lets be nice and give it a seven, but I'm not going to try and read some deep messages into it, about the importance of optimism to happiness, since you can get such stuff from inside fortune cookies.

Plus the film's choreography comes from none other than weird faced queen of Strictly Come Dancing, Arlene Phillips, plus you get another addition to the grotesques collection for Tim Curry.

All I'm saying is, that you need not run away when a young relative wants to watch it. It's perfectly enjoyable.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment