Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Movie Review: Labyrinth

God this film is so good, how is it that shite like Never Forget gets put on in the west end when a top drawer musical for the whole family like this gets left in 80s movie limb0o...

What makes this film fantastic is how it does the very most it can do without overreaching and hits the exact tone for the whole family.

Of course there's lots of wonderful bits, as well as some very silly bits (Trouser package anyone...) including the humour which is top drawer from Terry Jones and pantomime dialogue from the very heights of the art.

I write while watching and every new second of this film reminds me how much I love it, we're just at the scary bit where the baby's vanished and its all silent, except for sub radiophonic workshop stuff in the background. I think we're about to see DAVID! God he looks stupid.

I don't think anyone else could have played this part... its just perfect. I have a tendency to put on my best David impressior n when I watch (it sounds a bit more like Cary Grant than Bowie) but fantastic dialogue demands quoting - "turn back sarah!".

Dwarf killing fairies... a homophobic dwarf! I love doing his voice as well. HEUGH!

I think its probably the best example of humans and puppetry working together. I love the dark crystal as well, but that's a very different proposition (and Mrs Algo won't watch it cos she gets scared) with all puppets its virtually a cartoon.

Oooh... live movie watching update, one of the wrong names for Hoggle is Hogwart! J K Rowling, anyone..?

And it has an appalling synth score thil movie - that I own! sweet.

Why doesn't she just climb the walls anyway?

Anyhoo... f you haven't seen this film then get it and watch it - or come over to mine and I'll putr it on for you.

This film rocks.

Oh yeah! Dance Magic's coming on! You remind me of the babe! I've never realised before how sudden and pointless this first song is... it doesn't actually say anything or express anything much at all... except to make you laugh, and I suppose no more point is required really. It may be tis that really stops it getting to the west end...the songs bear no relation to the plot at all. I prefer it that way really.

I guess we'll just have to hope someone writes some great songs for it... maybe I will...

Catch you later...

A

2 comments:

  1. I still have no idea what Labyrinth is about. as far as I'm concerned it's two hours of David Bowie's penis dancing awkwardly with some muppets. This is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?

    You don't know what it's about?

    Its all about puberty, man, and sexual awakenings... and shit...

    Plus I'm pretty sure that bit with the junk lady is all about letting go of materialistic things...

    It's a philosophical masterpiece...

    With an enormous trouser snake too.

    ReplyDelete