Saturday, September 13, 2008

Quick Movie Review: Volver

8/10

Yes. I think its a better film than Atonement.

Volver is an oddity. A foreign language film in a glorious super coloured world, with a leading lady straight out of my more inappropriate dreams and a ghost flecked plot. This had a lot going for it from the start.

Raimunda (Penelope Cruz) is right at the centre of things when protecting her daughter leads her into a new freedom and a second chance to start her life. She grasps the opportunity with both hands. Thing is, she recently lost her mother and father in a fire, but her auntie insists mummy is still around and.... baking!

That the film resists any temptation to drop into guardian angel territory is to its credit, as is almost every single acting performance. The story is patently ridiculous, but heartwarmingly rather than irritatingly so. Overall this is a fine example of how to make a small scale movie; time is taken to establish every character and events move on to a more than satisfying conclusion.

In a word; tasty.

A

3 comments:

  1. Volver is wonderful. Loved it.

    Watched No Country for Old Men the other night - it shat me right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Define "shat me right up"?

    What does that mean exactly?

    I read on your blog that "it was good".

    I thought it is a genuine modern classic, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very, very good, but it gave me the willies - the idea of being stalked by somebody so unstoppable, so unwavering in his conviction to kill you, and anybody who tries to get in his way. I found it frightening, ergo, vis-a-vis, it shat me right up. QE2.

    ReplyDelete