Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Movie Review: Cars (Pixar)

Pixar are a fantastic bunch of people... not content with making toys and monsters and such lovable they have tried it with the humble motorcar too!

Thing is, motor cars aren't particularly lovable things in themselves - big hunks of metal... and so its down to Owen Wilson to play the part of the "hero" and no friends rogue who learns the error of his ways and learns also to value friendship.

So far so meh and I agree... its pretty lame story is one of its big let downs - borrowed from, it appears, Doc Hollywood, amongst others.

THis is far from Pixars best work on characters and story and when you see how far the animation has come even just from Monsters Inc, for example, its easy to believe that they just got dazzled by how clever they are. At one point I was momentarily convinced they had superimposed their cars onto a lovely forest and waterfall setting from real life... it took me several seconds to realise they are just THAT good now.

This films major problem is not its animation but its emotion. Its harder to empathise with a hunk of (presumably polluting) metal, and its lack of tailpipe emissions is a little hmm... strange, but the good ideas kind of get it through (A hippy VW Combi Van! Arnie is a HumVee!) and it didn;t do me any harm, but it says a lot about Pixar when a merely "good" movie is a little disappointing.

I am unable to take Mrs Algo to see WALL: E since she is convinced she will cry all the way through... look at the little guy! He's the cutest thing ever! This means I will be seeing it on my own and that sucks. It is being hailed as a true classic, and I can't see Cars getting the same treatment.

Solid, but no champion.

A

3 comments:

  1. I didn't think much of cars. Ditto Ratatouille (sp?), which was all right, but no The Incredibles.

    Toy Story 3 is in the pipeline now, though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comments on evolution, but on talking cars we have lift off!

    Ratatouille is a work of fooking genius and is much much better than this one.

    I actually welled up at the food critic's flashback sequence. And I can't remember another film that has made me do that for years! Just wonderful.

    So I disagree with you there. Other than that, all is peachy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Critic's flashback was wicked, I'll give you that. I like that he was blatantly based on Will Self.

    ReplyDelete