Monday, July 21, 2008

Sexism in Box Art

In true me style I have been causing trouble over on www.boardgamegeek.com

I took issue with one podcasters objection to this box image from the game DUST:



He exhorted on how the depiction of a "Voluptuous Russian Woman" on the front is unnecessary and a little pathetic method of sex-based marketing.

It may be because the particular podcaster is involved with a Christian mission out in Korea that he is so prudish, but is this box art really that dodgy and/or sexist?

I've seen covers of cosmopolitan that are more degrading to women, and many many many male magazines that are so much worse it's hard to describe.

What he stated was that the game should sell itself. My retort is that NOTHING sells itself. That these methods of marketing are ingrained in the western psyche and, most importantly of all, WORK!

I can kind of see his point. It is sad that sexy imagery (though I still don't see this image as particularly sexy or sexist) is used to sell everything from cereal to razor blades from a boredom point of view, but these adverts often elicit evolutionary responses, in the case of special K or Gillette its the evolutionary drive to be attractive to the opposite sex - what purpose does this box serve? ONLY ONE purpose, and that is to make you pick up the box and look at the game. The main market for board games is straight males and what better way to get their attention than a picture of an attractive woman?

All seems fairly simple to me.

What really got my goat was another person who indirectly described anyone who didn't find the image pointless bordering on offensive was a beer chugging, football loving emotional retard and a sexist. Welcome to the wide and depressing world of binary thinking.

All opinions and viewpoints cannot be summed up in either/or terms. It's just not possible - sexists and their opposites for which I can't think of a word... the ASEXISTS if you will, are but two ends of a spectrum that includes everyone inbetween - to paraphrase Avenue Q, "Everyone's a little bit sexist".

I don't think, however, that the artist who drew this fine example of a box cover is a sexist, I just think he is more realistic than those having a go at the art. The purpose of packaging is to assist the sale and I believe this is a great example of how to catch the eye.

Plus, COME ON! You'd have to be a horny 13 year old to be aroused by this picture. I mean.. what the hell do you think she's thinking? "Where's my Bra?", maybe...

Sigh... I just don't get it.

As an aside, note that not a single woman is involved in this conversation - not one. I put this down to poor marketing on Boardgamegeek's part - its not the sort of website name that will inspire confidence is it?

What do you think? Is this Box art in any way titillating, and does it matter even if it is?
Do check out www.boardgamegeek.com though, it's a great site.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment