Friday, September 26, 2008

INLAND EMPIRE Pt.1

I was going to write a review today of bonkers David Lynch/Laura Dern three hour brainmelt mashup fest INLAND EMPIRE, but I am not sure I know how to do it (see the sidebar for my attempt at an appropriate rating).

But! I will not admit defeat, my friends. I intend to watch it again, and with others, to discuss it a bit further.

Let me be honest. I really liked it. That being said, it is impossible to slap an out of ten rating on something that subverts every single rule of filmmaking - the plot is indistinguishable from the lighting, the scenery seems cheaper, and yet more real, than any film I have seen for a long time.

Lynch refuses to even be bound by keeping the same characters for each actress, so in my interpretation we have Dern in a scene with herself as a different character, as well as her being the actress playing that character and AT THE SAME TIME, have a completely diffeent actress playing the same character IN THE SAME ROOM while a bunch of other actresses lounge about representing parts of the actress (or the character's) psyche!

So I'll persevere, and even on one viewing I can say I am utterly in awe of just how many rules Lynch has ignored, even those I had no idea existed until they weren't being followed any more.

It's more of an "experience" than a story, and should really be approached as such - its not even as if it represents a broken timeline, because its as if the plot was crumpled together like a draft piece of sheet music, and then the director conducted, and the actors played, what notes were left visible. Amazing work.

I'll be a bit more balanced and explanatory when I have watched it again. Simple fact is that it is utterly unique, even amongst Lynch's output and a wonderful, occasionally terrifying, annoying, frustrating, pretentious bit of nonsense.

In case you hadn't guessed, I am yet to reach a final decision.

Have you seen it and had a more binary response?

A

1 comment:

  1. Did you get around to watching this again?

    I saw "Mullholland Drive" over the weekend and my thought process was "Yes, like it. Following the plot. Well shot. Good locations. Some little diversions that will, no doubt come together near the end. Nice surreal section.. WTF! WHAT! Who's she? What happened there? Didn't he..? I mean isn't she...?... I don't understand..........!"

    So I would be interested in your perspectives on this movie

    ReplyDelete