Friday, September 12, 2008

Score Rationalisation

I will today be "rationalising" all my OUT OF TEN scores since I have reviewed them and I'm not happy with some, since I have hampered myself by screwing some up, and then an implication can be drawn I like some films better than others when I don't.

This will NOT mean Dark Knight is now a 9.

Hope it makes a bit more sense now.

  • 10/10 - There are no perfect films. This is as close as you'll get.
  • 9/10 - A truly great film and a stand-out in its genre and field, definitely worth your time and likely to be well loved forever.
  • 8/10 - A Great film, everybody should find something to enjoy
  • 7/10 - A Very Good film, not without its issues but still should be worth seeing
  • 6/10 - Overall, A good film, with one or two major flaws that may put some off.
  • 5/10 - An average film, you may or may not enjoy it to pass the time, but you won't rave about it to your mates.
  • 4/10 - OK film, fairly average, but with problems that may undermine it.
  • 3/10 - Poor Film. Its problems outweigh its good bits, but you may find some things to enjoy
  • 2/10 - Very Poor Film. Only a few will find that any good things are far outweighed by serious issues, some very basic, with all areas of consequence.
  • 1/10 - Extremely Poor Film. Barely anyone will find anything to enjoy, with all technical sides undermined by a lack of any basic grasp of filmmaking.
  • 0/10 - So bad it scarcely merits inclusion on a list of films, atrociously acted, badly made and a toxic stain on the landscape. Avoid at all costs!

4 comments:

  1. Sigh - and just when I thought you were going to turn out right....

    You've said yourself that "there are no perfect movies, this is as close as you'll get", and then you go and add 2 on your (abbreviated) list. What would Godfather II rate? As your favourite movie of all time it should rate a 10, surely?

    And can you think of any movie that would fall under the classification of 1/10?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this about Atonement?

    Jeez.

    You know, you can be really offensive... "just I when I thought you were going to turn out right". For goodness sakes! It's just a number.

    Easy tiger.

    Allow me to explain:

    Some films merit a 10 under this system (including in my opinion, The Dark Knight and Metropolis).

    It just means something different than your 10. Probably means your 9. So just make the adjustment. Since your implication is that only one film is worth a 10 (your favourite film) then there's no sense bothering with them at all (an option I discarded)

    As for the 1/10 rating, off the top of my head I'd pick Battlefield Earth, which is atrocious, but isn't as bad as Alone In The Dark.

    I'll take your points on board for the next time around.

    A

    P.S. Godfather II? 10, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 0/10 - Alone In The Dark. It may be worth a 1/10 in some people's book but oh dear god not in mine.

    ReplyDelete