Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seriously... noone wants to comment about any of these movies? The quick navigation post.

I mean, it's a lot to expect I know, but at least two of you must have your own thoughts about these, I've tried for the most part to temper some of my more biting sarcasm, except in the case of my hatred for The Strangers, but in case you missed em, and want to comment on my reviews, here is a complete list of reviews so far.

I'd love to read your comments - whether you agreed with the reviews or not.... or whether you think that, in accordance with Godwins Law, they can be in any way linked to me supporting the Nazis.

Primal Fear
The Day The Earth Stood Still
28 Days Later (Very Short Review)
The Strangers & Vault Of Horror
The Devil's Backbone
Dhoom 2
In The Valley Of Elah
Say This Is Love
Kentucky Fried Movie
The Seventh Seal
Once
Kingdom Of Heaven
The Dark Knight
Cat People
Control
For Your Consideration
The Player
Cars (Pixar)
Alone In The Dark
Labyrinth
The Number 23
Michael Clayton, American Gangster and Death Proof

That's 25 movies odd. Rah! now, I've tried several things and methods, with the first review, I tried to do several at once, with Labyrinth I tried typing while watching. While the first sort of worked the second did not. What I tend to do now I'm in my stride is watch the film, walk away and do something else (wash up mostly. How on earth do two people make so much) then come back and write up what I thought. The idea is to get that feeling over of how a film feels after you've mulled it over with your mates in the lobby rather than the instant it's finished.

Hope you've enjoyed them and here's to reaching the big 50!

A

4 comments:

  1. Now here's the thing Algo. I love your movie reviews. I think the way you position them (with reference to similar or contrasting movies, or other movies with the same actors) is great. The reviews are a good read and well worth everyone's time.

    But at the end of the day they are your opinion and therefore cannot be wrong. Sure, I have my opinions about movies. Sometimes they match yours and sometimes they don't, but if I were to start questioning your opinion and views it would just lead to a worthless debate because I'm not going to change your opinion and you're no going to change mine.

    Now if you wrote a post that said 'Police Academy 6 is, without a doubt, the most intellectually exciting, well written and serious story ever committed to celluloid and that's a fact', then I guess we're in a different ballgame as you're now expressing incorrect facts rather than opinions (everyone knows Police Academy 6 is not the best - it's Police Academy 4....)

    But I support your right to write whatever you wish regarding your thoughts and opinions on a particular movie without some oik from the boondocks telling you you're wrong because you only rated Atonement 7 out of 10.

    Make sense?

    On the other hand if you were to write a post along the lines of:

    "The greatest gangster movie ever made: The Godfather. Goodfellas. Once upon a time in America. Discuss"

    then I suppose that would constitute a legitimate mode for discussions.

    Keep them reviews coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and kudo's for the Godwins Law link!

    We'll get you with a Reductio ad Hitlerum at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 things:

    Firstly, thanks for commenting.

    Secondly, No discussion is worthless. The point of me writing is to tell you what I thought, true, but that doesn't mean it's not worth saying what you think. I may not be goign to change your opinion (and you're not going to change mine) but discussion is the method by which arguments are tested. It's not worth having a POV if you're not prepared to have it challenged. If you need to protect it from contradictory arguments then how strong a belief is it, really? I was grateful to you for putting the other side of the argument forward for Keira Knightley, for example, in whose case my opinion is in the minority.

    That is all.

    Oh, except that you didn't have Godfather Part II in your list.

    Oh, and plus, you could always just comment with a "great review!"

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! OOh! (Put's on Daily Mail reader tones)

    And if you're not keen on free debates and free speech, I guess you were a big fan of Hitler!

    Hehehe.... it's so easy....

    (For those uninitiated in Godwin's Law, it is an absolute imperative that you misrepresent the other persons views like I just did while likening them to Nazis)

    ReplyDelete