Sunday, June 15, 2008

The importance of fun

I went to a board games club this week, I admit it.

Why is such activity generally frowned on by the rest of humanity? I've been thinking about this up to and since my visit. I had a good time and plan on returning weekly. So why do I feel guilty?

I think the thing people frown on is the perceived frivolous nature of it all. You know - "you spent two hours PLAYING?". Thing is I reckon there's a big crossover between people of that mindset and the sort of folks who spend three hours on a Friday in the pub.

So why is the act of playing a board game worse than sitting with your mates and getting drunk (one should also take into account that the two are not mutually exclusive)? I have a couple of theories, but one is probably that it is viewed in the same way that people like me felt about those freaks who did EXTRA homework, "wait - you voluntarily used your brain?"

It's an odd thought process - but many people view watching TV as more acceptable behaviour than spending the same amount of time playing board games. TV has little interaction and actually stunts communication and connection between people. Board games avoid this and actually are FUN!

I like TV and I like Video Games too, but surely we should all have time in our weeks to sit face to face and play something together that doesn't involve staring at the TV?

You played monopoly when you were young, maybe you played risk too? There is MUCH more to games these days folks.

If you agree, I am always up for a game of something! Let me know and I'll make it happen.

Why not post your own thoughts?

A

3 comments:

  1. I think because board games are seen as old-fashioned, maybe, or just something that is done at christmas with the family etc etc... and it is such the culture now that going out with friends normally involves drink, drink and more drink. However, how much fun and giggles do these games involve! Exactly, they put a smile on your face, they don't wreck your liver... and you wake up in the morning with potentially extra knowledge (inevitably), and no hangover... Wicked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What could be wrong with getting together with others with a shared interest?

    Board games require communication, strategic, tactical and most importantly social skills. They may not share the same physical demands as field sports, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

    Meeting up and interacting with real people is preferable to gaming in the PC or virtual world.

    I dare say many of those who are glib about gaming clubs spend many happy hours with only their joysticks to keep them company.

    Good on you. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What could be wrong with getting your ass kicked by my mum at Power Grid?

    I am itching for a return match...

    ReplyDelete