Monday, June 9, 2008

Why you should listen to Scott Walker

Hi guys.

I don't believe in God, but Scott Walker is pretty close.

Lets start by explaining who he is.

  • He was in the walker brothers. That's him singing "Take it easy on yourself" and "Sun ain't gonna shine any more"
  • He was a legendary alcoholic and recorded a bunch of appalling MOR albums in the 70s.
  • As an aside the Walker brothers were not brothers. None of their surnames were Walker.
  • His first four albums were just called "Scott" 1-4
  • Scott 4 didn't sell.
  • None of the above matter
So why is he so great? I am no expert on him personally and very few people are, given his hermit like existence and aversion to being prolific or successful.

I first became aware of this entity, person, being, through the entertaining and interesting documentary "20th Century Man" and, recent increase in medication contributing I am sure, sat there utterly hypnotised while the most incredible music I had ever heard was talked over in irritating fashion by fans such as David Bowie, Alison Goldfrapp, Ute Lemper and so on.

What I found interesting is that here was a man who just plain didn't fit into his pigeon hole properly - he should have been an air-headed poster boy star in a boyband of the 60s who vanished into obscurity after they broke up. Surely?

But his first solo albums show the real story.
Scott 1, mostly written by other people for him
Scott 2, a lot more scott songs
Scott 3, Entirely written by him except for a coda of Jaques Brel songs
Scott 4, Entirely 100% Scott. Didn't sell hence his reliance on crappy songwriters for the 70s.

Why did his own stuff cause his downfall? I want to very clear here: it is NOT because it was crap. It was in my opinion precisely because his songs are everything a pop star should not record. Frequently in 3/4 time, they are lyrically out of kilter with pop, but the productions are too pop for any of the Psychedelia or Rock fans to become interested in.

The same day as watching the documentary I went into London and bought 5 CDs.

Scott 3, Scott 4, Climate Of Hunter, Tilt, The Drift. These cover 40 years of music, showing you how prolific he is. Especially if you take into account the fact 3&4 came out a year or so apart.

These albums can be split into three groups. The first two, Climate, and the last two.

First group is still 60s MOR in production though lyrically they don't fit with the mainstream. You could include his songwriting while with The Walker Brothers here. If you just want one song as a highlight of this period so you only have to spend 79p (you cheapskates) it would be "It's Rainin' Today" off Scott 3. Just get it.

The third group is what he's famous for now, and is totally out of step with most music you have ever heard before, or at least that I had. His songwriting has developed to the point where music and lyrics are used to serve mood, and the vocals are used to convey lyrical content and emotion and thus the melody is as changeable as every other note. Its really tough to describe in words, but since The Drift is so hard to listen to (exhausting would be the right word) I will recommend the song "The Cockfighter" off Tilt as the best introduction here, though its not my favourite from that album it shows you what you are in for. My favourites off each album are listed at the end of this if you really want an Algo list.

You'll notice I left Climate of Hunter out on its own in a group by itself. It doesn't really fit with the older stuff or the newer stuff. It appears to be random link in a different chain. This is because there's a bit of the story missing and I left it out before since I was dumb enough to ignore it myself so you can share in my journey. Neat eh?

The missing link is the Walker Brothers reunion of the mid 70s. NO! Not No Regrets (shudders). The important link in the chain and all I suggest you get involved in is the last Walker Brothers album, "Nite Flights". To be more precise and to save you a shedload of money I ONLY refer to tracks 1-4 of that album - the most crucial third of an album I have ever almost missed.

These tracks show Walker returning to songwriting and the song "The Electrician" is indirectly one of the most influential pieces of music ever (Influencing Brian Eno and Bowie's berlin albums and also Ultravox's "Vienna").

So far so useless. What on earth am I saying? I say, buy Climate of Hunter. Do.

Listen to tracks 1-4 of Nite flights first and the progression makes more sense. I didn't and I love the album anyway. The production and fretless bass date it rather badly but the lyrics and songs are so strong I don't care. Off the Climate of Hunter album, my cheapskate pick is "Sleepwalker's Woman".

How does one listen to Scott Walker, Algo? With Patience! Especially with the later stuff where he takes his time severely. Give every record its time to settle in.

Oh and final advice: DO NOT listen to The Drift in bed with the lights off. It gave me nightmares.

So... My Algolian collection for those of you too cheap to buy albums (all of the below are written by Scott Walker and this is the seal of excellence. Don't buy "Til The band comes in" and then balme me when its a bunch of toss):

1. Orpheus - Walker Brothers
2. Always Coming Back To You - Scott 1
3. The Amorous Humphrey Plugg - Scott 2
4. Rosemary -Scott 3
5. Boy Child - Scott 4
6. The Electrician - Nite Flights
7. Rawhide - Climate Of Hunter
8. Farmer In The City - Tilt
9. Jolson and Jones - The Drift

I think that'll fit on a CD!

Hope you look into his music and have as much pleasure from it as I have.

A

1 comment:

  1. I saw The Walker Brothers in 1966, they were on the same bill as Jimi Hendrix.

    As I recall the drummer Gary?) was augmented by a second drummer. I still like the mood of those early singles and a modern reworking of them might work.

    I've been blown away by some of the stuff I've heard from the albums you describe.

    It's not always easy or casual listening, but persistance rewards

    ReplyDelete