Thursday, December 18, 2008

The First Annual Wall Shadows Awards

Right then, the cut off date of the movie awards you least care about is now officially today, the 18th December.

It's also the only awards where you get an "antagonist" gong, since the most important person in the film is usually not the biggest part I thought I'd chuck one in.

This year has seen some great movie experiences and a couple of shockers, so I hope you enjoy the results below. The only qualifying criteria is that the awards go to films I saw for THE FIRST TIME in the year 2008 whether in the Cinema or on DvD so here we go:


BEST FILM:
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

(Nearly There: The Dark Knight, Metropolis)

BEST ACTING PERFORMANCE (MALE):
Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood
(Nearly There: Casey Affleck in TAOJJBTCRF)

BEST ACTING PERFORMANCE (FEMALE):
Laura Dern in INLAND EMPIRE
(Nearly There: Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton, Anjelica Huston in The Grifters)

BEST LOOKING FILM:
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
(Nearly There: There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men)

BEST MOVIE ANTAGONIST:
The Joker
in The Dark Knight
(Nearly There: Eli Sunday in There Will Be Blood, Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men)

WORST FILM:
Alone in The Dark

(Nearly There: The Strangers, John Carpenter's Vampires)



Since these is all I really care about in films, I don't think I'm qualified to judge their relative technical merits in focus pulling and script doctoring detail, that's all the awards I'm good for this year. I hope you all saw some great movies and here's to another great movie year!

A

2 comments:

  1. Just seen "The Assassination of.."(TAOJJBTCRF), and I must say I think there must be two versions out there, the one you saw and the one I saw. The turgid, lethargic, yawn-inspiring piece of self-indulgent codswallap I saw surely can't be the same film that won both the "Best Film" and "Best Looking Film" in your awards? As I have been unable to find your review of TAOJJBTCRF on this site I cannot judge whether this is the one and must therefore assume either a) There are two movies with the same name or b) You were joking with your awards.

    All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't get to see the original 4 hour cut that was screened at the Venice Film Festival. Furthermore, unlike "Mullholland Drive" which I found confusing and WTF??! I will not be watching TAOJJBTCRF again to find out why our opinions differ so much on this. But you did say this was "not really a film, more some sort of freaky Movie voodoo!"

    Oh and Happy New year, Algo. Keep up the excellent work with the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the interests of brevity and conciliation I say absolutely don't force yourself to watch it again, and lets agree to disagree. Clearly for me it was one of the highlights of the years viewing since I rate it so highly.

    The reason you cannot find the review, incidentally is that I saw it before I started the blog, waaaay back in February.

    A

    ReplyDelete