Monday, December 15, 2008

Little Rant: When Did Spitting Become Acceptable? And a dig at smokers,..

Walking to our little high street here, I picked my way amongst splat after splat of disgusting phlegm.

Maybe its the first example of me turning into an old man and seeing the past through a haze, but when the hell did it become OK to spit on the road? I don't mean in a legal sense, but in a social sense - anyone who spits openly in public should just be laughed out of town, surely?

What? Your own spit is unswallowable? Why do you think that might be?

I can't work it out. I expect to see tyhousands of tiny icy puddles when the weather gets REALLY cold. It's just horrible!

Similarly, I don't get why if I was to throw a sweet wrapper on the ground I would be littering and get all the hard times and mockery that goes with that, but people throw cigarette butts around like they're invisible - all over the street and sometimes, inadvertently, at passers by.

The film set I worked on recently gained a small carpet of butts as people just flicked them away when they were done, not looking at where they went, just flung away. You wouldn't do it with a burger wrapper or a lollystick and be so blazé so why is your cigarette not as bad?

Gah!

Rant done.

A

1 comment:

  1. Word on both of those. Spitting is so very disgusting - especially when people noisily hock up a big old gobful of plegm. We're not fucking cavemen! Does nobody blow their nose any more?

    And just flinging your fag end behind you without putting it out or looking where it's going... I very nearly lamped a guy who did that a few weeks ago in town because if I'd been a foot closer to him then his lit cigarette would have gone straight into Vi's buggy. It's not just rude, it's dangerous. He had two ugly kids with him and everything. I was sorely tempted to pick up the fag end and flick it at one of his kids, see how he liked it.

    Bastards.

    Gabby
    xxx

    ReplyDelete