Friday, August 1, 2008

A plague of boils to the council and to my thieving neighbours!

Sigh.... since our bin got stolen a second time (we got it back again, and it now has our house number on it about four times) and the council bounced a refund check on me I am not feeling too happy about you OTHER people right now, to be honest.

The thing is, I get really annoyed when I have to be unreasonable before listen to me, I'm usually a fairly tolerant guy, not being the most perfectly reliable financial wizard in the world, and having worked in call centres and in customer service industry I understand its hard to get things done perfectly first time. But in this case its just daft.

I didn't cancel a direct debit - big deal, you can see and I can see you owe me money, so lets close down the account and you send me a cheque for the difference ok? We can be reasonable about this right?

If ONLY!

Apparently because they hadn't been told who the new tenants at our old place were they couldn't close our account. I tried to establish exactly how this was our problem, since we were clearly living at a new address and paying cash to the new council but in order to get this across I had to act entirely out of character (luckily I have experience at improvising total knob characters since a certain female director always used to cast me as them - lucky I didn't slip into my american accent halfway through).

It took two minutes of ear bashing to get the supervisor and then another five to demonstrate they weren't going to be able to get rid of me without making some assurances. What a waste of time for everyone concerned. GRRRR!!!!

Thing is, they then send the cheque (second class and arriving two weeks later) so I pay it in. I then notice they have our address wrong on the letter they sent (flat E not Flat E, apparently in Southwark-Council-Land, Bravo starts with an E!) and inform them.

Guess what?

THEY CANCEL THE CHEQUE!!!

The reason? Their system needed to reset and send a new cheque to Flat B.

This is a little annoying since it takes me overdrawn - and banks these days don't do temporary overdrafts. Cheers, dickwads!


So folks, I need a little bit of new faith in humanity - please add aq comment with a story of generosity or true neighbourly spirit to cheer me up. I'd like everyone who reads this to post, I don't mind if its anonymous! I just need some good vibes and SOON!

A

3 comments:

  1. Er... you could always try http://icanhischeezburger.com

    Always makes me laugh.

    Either that or you could mentally reply they 'French and King Arthur' scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grial. Replace King Arthur with the council and insult them with lines such as "Your mother was a 'amster and your father smelt of elderberry's"!

    Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was running a bar for a friend last night at a local wedding. Towards the end of the evening a young chancer came to the bar at the same time is a lithe, young Irish girl. I had already served the Irish girl about 6 bottles of Bud so I knew she was already 3 sheets to the wind. The chancer saw this, moved in and offered to buy here a couple of shots. I lined up the Sambuca and they downed two shots each within about 3 minutes.

    Shortly after that the chancer move in and started chatting with the Irish girl. He had his hand around her waist, resting on her left buttock. I continued to serve customers, but had to snigger under my breath when I heard the Irish girl state (In quite a loud voice) "I may be drunk and you may be feeding me shots, but I'm not going to shag ya!".

    Nice to know where you stand with some people isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless Her!

    That should be on a T-Shirt!

    ReplyDelete